Architectural Shingles (30 YEARS SHINGLES)
Additionally, they have a more dimensional look to them much like a wooden shake or a tile has dimension. You could conceivably get the benefits of an asphalt shingle roof, which is fairly low-maintenance, with the look of a cedar shake roof with an architectural shingle.
- Architectural shingles have longer warranties because they are thicker than most 3-tab shingles.
- They have a minimum 30-year guarantee.
- They are rated to resist higher wind speeds than 3-tab shingles.
- If they are correctly installed and maintained, they can raise a home’s value because they are preferred over 3-tab.
- Architectural shingles more popular in the roofing market.
- Architectural shingles weigh up to 50% more than 3-tab shingles, which are already heavy. This could pose a problem if your house is not structurally ready for that load.
- They cost more than 3-tab shingles.
3-tab Shingles (25 YEARS SHINGLES)
Traditional shingles are the 3-tab variety. They are the shingles people most often associate with asphalt roofing. They come in a single tab shape, even though they are available in a variety of colors. In addition, 3-tab shingles lie flat to the roof decking and create a clean shape with neat-looking lines on your roof.
- 3-tab shingles weigh less than architectural shingles because they are composed of less material.
- They are less expensive than architectural shingles.
- They are still used in many residential properties for their affordable price. The higher initial price of architectural shingles can be prohibitive for some builders.
- 3-tab shingles are less thick than architectural shingles, so they need to be replaced sooner.
- They have a flat appearance which can be less preferable than dimensional shingles.
- They are on the decline in popularity.